Power washing, or pressure washing, may be used. However, aggressive washing can damage the vinyl.
Excessive pressure during power washing can damage the vinyl by forcing water underneath the film.
Water lessens the adhesion of the vinyl to the vehicle allowing the film to lift or curl.
These problems are magnified by wind.
To avoid edge lifting or other damage to the vinyl film, follow these important steps:
- Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide spray pattern.
- Be sure the spray nozzle includes a nozzle protector (tip guard).
- Use a maximum pressure of 1500 to 2000 psi.
- If the system is heated, limit the water temperature to 180°F (82°C) or less.
- Hold nozzle at least 12 inches (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (90 degrees +/- 10) to the vinyl.
- Do not direct the water stream at a sharp angle to the edge of the vinyl